Next in The Ultimate Toasty Series is the tuna melt. I’m a big fan of tuna – in a jacket potato, with pasta, on pizza, and of course, in a sandwich; and how do you make a tasty tuna butty even better? Add gorgeous mozzarella cheese, tangy red onion, aromatic herbs and heat it all up so you get all the textures too – the crunchy toast, smooth tuna and stringy cheese. Yum!
You can, of course, use a toasty maker, griddle or pan to make this recipe, like in my previous Ultimate Toasty posts. But, if you have a limited kitchen with just a toaster (like in many workplaces), then fear not, just make the butty at home and wrap it up, then use a toasty bag in the toaster to grill it like I have below. Sorted.
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tin of tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- A good pinch of black pepper
- A good pinch of paprika
- 15-20g of red onion, finely diced
- A pinch of basil
- A pinch of oregano
- 25g mozzarella
- Put the tuna, mayo, lemon juice, pepper and paprika into a dish and mix well.
- Add the red onion and mix well.
- Spread half of this mixture onto one slice of bread. Wrap the rest up and put it in the fridge for another day.
- Tear up the mozzarella and spread it evenly over the tuna mix.
- Sprinkle the basil and oregano over the mozzarella and place the other slice of bread on top.
- Place whole sandwich into a toasty bag and place in the toaster.
- Toast for 2 or 3 mins. When it pops, turn it round and toast it again. This will ensure an even colour, just watch it doesn’t burn.
- Slide the toasty out of the bag and serve with a fresh leaf salad. The toasty bag can be washed and used again.
If you liked this recipe, you may also like: