This is a regular mid-week breakfast for me as it’s really quick and easy, contains 1 of my 5 a day (2 if I wash it down with fresh fruit juice) and it tastes so good! Yes, it’s a bit more effort than just spreading the toast with jam, but not much, and it sets you up nicely for the day ahead. Plan this into your schedule one week (you could even chop the mushrooms and tomatoes the night before to make it even quicker) and you’ll go to bed looking forward to breakfast.
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
Ready in 7 mins (2 mins prep, 5 mins cook) – Serves 1
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- A small knob of butter
- 8 – 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 large mushrooms, washed and sliced
- A good pinch of thyme
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- A good pinch of black pepper
- 1 round of bread (I like brown and seeded)
- Put the oil and butter in a frying pan over a medium/high heat on the hob.
- Once the butter has melted, add the tomatoes, mushrooms, thyme, lemon juice and black pepper. – Pic 1
- Mix well and fry for 5 mins, stirring regularly to stop it sticking to the pan while you toast your bread.
- Once your toast is brown, your tomatoes have started to break down and your mushrooms have started to colour, you’re ready to serve. – Pic 2
- Pour the mixture over the toast (no need to butter first) and dig in.