This Grain Salad is refreshing, zesty, minty, and SO quick to make!
It makes the perfect side to BBQ’d meat, fish and vegetables and can be made a few days in advance and kept in an airtight container in the fridge. Just serve it cold, with an extra drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top if you find it’s sticking together. It’s nice mixed with feta cheese and fresh spinach too, as an easy lunch.
I’ve used a Quinoa and Bulgur Wheat Mix, which works really well with the lemon and mint flavours, but you could try making it with Couscous, Pearl Barley, or any grain mix you fancy. Just check the cooking instructions on the back of the packet before diving in, as some mixes require soaking before you can cook them. Bulgur Wheat is not gluten free, so if this is a concern, use a mix of Quinoa and another grain that doesn’t contain wheat.
Ready in 20mins – serves 4.
- 200g of a Bulger Wheat / Quinoa mix
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- A pinch of cumin
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- The juice of 1 lemon
- Rinse the grains well under a tap, then place in a pan with the stock cube and plenty of water.
- Bring to the boil, and simmer for 10 mins, stirring regularly. Do not let the pan boil dry.
- Add the drained chickpeas, and simmer for a further 5 mins.
- Pour into a sieve to drain off the water, and return the pan to the heat.
- Put the cooked, drained grains and chickpeas back into the pan, and add the oil, thyme, basil, oregano and cumin.
- Mix well and cook for 5 mins.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the spring onions, chopped mint and lemon juice.
- Mix well, and allow to cool completely before serving.
If you liked this recipe, you may also like: